Dear Revolve,

Jan 20

Hey, bb’s! It’s been exactly ten days since my post about Revolve and their lack of diversity. Can I just start this off by saying that I am so proud of us? I am so proud of the new spaces that have been created for us and by us. I am incredibly proud of everyone who has spoken up, taken action and spread the word. This issue has really united our community and it has inspired so many to help each other out by sharing information and educating each other.
But there’s still an incredibly large elephant in the room. An elephant that Revolve has not only refused to address, but they’ve now chosen to ignore. I’m sure y’all saw on Instagram that quite a few influencers received the following email:

This was my response to that email:

After thinking about this a bunch, I decided I needed to re-write my letter and I needed to share it with everyone, or well.. whoever reads this thing.

Dear Revolve,

Is this a joke? I’m going to assume that this is either a tasteless joke or the person you hired for influencer marketing just got back from a 6-month sabbatical and was just now given access to the internet. No brief. No warning. Just a random person who decided to send that e-mail to everyone who was rowdy about your lack of diversity. But let’s stick with a joke because it makes me feel better as a breathing human sharing the same air as you.

I want to know when you recapacitated from your colorism and developed the ability to feel.  Because now, conveniently, you feel that I (along with the 94 other bloggers who got the same copy and pasted message) resonate with your brands. Are these new undisclosed brands? Do they not exist? Where are they? I can’t find them. Because I know good and well you are not referring to Revolve and whatever Alliance is.

You feel that we resonate with your vision. Have you just recently been gifted the ability to see? This vision that you’re referring to. Does it involve shutting people up with a free pantsuit that costs $7 to make? I’m not understanding this vision. I’m not sure how the vision of an entire company can change overnight without the acknowledgment of their lack of sight. I’m no expert, but I’m almost positive that in order to change you have to know that something needs to change. Did we not get the memo that you got the memo? Or is the free bathing suit your way of saying that you received it?

You do realize that we all united as a community and told each other what was happening right? So you do realize that upon sending everyone the same exact e-mail we were going to tell each other? You also realize that we have the highest buying power in this country and can afford to purchase your clothing. So I’m sure it’s no surprise that this is insulting as fuck. Do I put on the free overalls and let you scream “See! We included you!”

Take some advice from the people who you are poorly trying to make amends with. Hire a public relations crisis control expert. Y’all need professional help. There’s no coming back from this. Then when you decide to show face for this bullshit, try a response like this:

Dear influencer,

It has come to our attention that there is a huge lack of diversity within our brands and it has upset a large community of people. We would first and foremost like to apologize. In efforts to rectify this awful truth, we would love to hear more ways in which we can expand our vision.

To begin this process we’d like to know if you would send us your budget. We then would like to further discuss a campaign opportunity as we’d like to begin fixing this issue as soon as possible.

Please feel free to add the names of any content creators you feel would fit the improvement of our vision.

But nah. You hit us what that “let’s give them some full-sized candy bars so they don’t bitch.” That’s not going down.  Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever. See one of the things that I will admit is that we have an issue acknowledging our worth, but that’s changing. We know our worth. We’re adding tax. We’re saving receipts, and building for ourselves.

Check out spaces like @youbelongnow, and @WOCootd. Gather your team, go to confession, or whatever your heart desires and then go back to the drawing board because this is not how you address an issue of that magnitude. When you’re ready, hit us up with something other than free clothes and pity vision.

PS. Tell your friends at Tarte that your influencers don’t all need their own personalized shade of beige.

xo

bye

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Chigi

January 20th, 2018 at 12:40 am

They must be joking. It’s even more insulting that they didn’t apologize, address the issue or ask for feedback to improve their company. They thought by offering you some cheap clothes you will be silenced. Absolutely ridiculous and it goes to show you that no matter how many WOC ambassadors they hire now, they still don’t get it. Thanks for sharing and speaking the truth.
    xoxo
    Chigi

2. Ken smith

January 20th, 2018 at 3:21 am

I’m fucking love you! And the fact that you stand tall in your believe! And, make no apologies for it! Thank you!!!!!!!

3. Armelis

January 20th, 2018 at 3:28 am

*dies*
    lol holy shit – yes ! You summed up exactly what I was thinking. How is it possible they didn’t think before sending that email and even worse the SAME email to everyone? Major face palm.
    Thanks for always speaking truth!!!! Lol @ the P.S. haha

4. Geraldine

January 20th, 2018 at 3:30 am

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!! Hahahaha omgggg omg You just did the “THIS IS SPARTA” kick right in their face and threw them down their own beige hole !!!! Hahahhahahaah DIEDDDDD !!! RELIVEDDDD, died Again. #thugnannydropsmicAGAIN

5. Blu

January 20th, 2018 at 3:47 am

Girl. I just ran from the living room to the front door screaming! The email they sent was a slap in the face. That’s the problem with a lot of beige people. They don’t want to take responsibility when they’re at fault. I can not see how the manager of Beige Influencer outreach thought that an email without an apology was tactful.
    You don’t get to publicly ignore us and then privately address us. Nope. They still don’t think we’re good enough for their platform. Thank you for addressing this.

6. Josie

January 20th, 2018 at 4:02 am

Denisse! I could kiss you on the mouth RN!!!Trying to shut people down with free clothing, no apologies, no acknowlegment of the terrible mistake they made.
    Bravo for knowing your worth, our worth and they should actually hire you ( if inclusion is truly their intention ) as their crisis control expert!
    Merci là bas!
    Josie

7. Jessica Flores

January 20th, 2018 at 4:55 am

And she does it again! I can’t say it enough. You are brilliant and amazing. Things are finally going to change for our entire community because of people like you. Thank you!

8. Dominique Bradberry

January 20th, 2018 at 5:03 am

This can’t be real life Denisse! I read the original email like, “Wait – is this from a robot?” NO acknowledgement whatsoever about your previous post or apology! What the what! EVEN if they don’t agree with what you have to say, they can AT LEAST show EMPATHY and look to align with you. Wow. This was wild!!

9. Shannae Ingleton Smith

January 20th, 2018 at 5:05 am

You told no lies

10. Julie

January 20th, 2018 at 5:21 am

You shut them DOWN!

11. MEL SAN VICENTE

January 20th, 2018 at 5:26 am

Girllllllll! You can’t keep killing me with these HITS. SHITS A-CHANGING ROUND HERE. Starting with ZERO raisins in our empanadas. GRACIAS!

12. Leslie

January 20th, 2018 at 7:07 am

*drops a dolla, passes collection plate* Amen Sister Nanny. AMENT.
    Xo,
    Leslie /@hautemommie / http://www.thehautemommie.com

13. Chaun

January 20th, 2018 at 11:57 am

Two motherfucking snaps!!!

14. Krystle DeSantos

January 20th, 2018 at 1:12 pm

I just gave that response letter the longest Guyanese suck teeth ever. This was all they could come back with? Free clothes to combat a lack of diversity & representation ??? #WEAK!Where they do that at? Oh right at Revolve with they 20/20 vision.
    Anyways, keep sharing these issues as well as your notorious eye rolls! Loving all the new spaces created as well!

15. Gabrielle Lawrence

January 20th, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Love this! Thanks for really speaking your truth which is also ours!!

16. Melanie Santos

January 20th, 2018 at 4:23 pm

HO.LY. SHIT. ILY!
    Can all my Latinas join me in saying QUE MALTIDO BOCHE!
    I’m all for a written slap in the face. I hope they, Tarte, and all the other brands who turn a blind eye to inclusion feel it as it makes their digital skin bubble. KNOW YOUR WORTH. XO.

17. Janibellrosanne

January 21st, 2018 at 12:16 am

GIRL YOU ARE LITERALLY UNSTOPPABLE. You never cease to amaze me; you get your point across so effectively and don’t hesitate to tell it like it is. Please never stop writing.

18. Rachelle

January 21st, 2018 at 4:34 pm

This email reeks of privilege. It’s crazy that such a big company has such poor vision. Yea they freaking suck.

join the list

for Gems, life updates and new posts!